Sunday, July 27, 2008

Chassidic Tish in Ruzhin - Boyan

B"H

First we really thought that we wouldn't make it. The Shabbat dinner at Rabbi Mordechai Machlises house took unbelievable long, as there were so many guests. Since Rabbi Machlis has been adding another room to his living room, people just keep on streaming in. As there now is more space, he publishes his meals on Janglo.

At least 200 guests passed his living room last Shabbat. Especially when an American student group of 42 people walked it. Then the new room wasn't even enough anymore and the Machlis family had to open the door leading to the Sukka (added ot the house). The result was that the whole Sukka was full of guests.

Some people had told me about Boyan for quite a while, I always wanted to go to their Rebbe's Tish. But sometimes the problem is that an outsider like me doesn't know when different groups have their Tishes. There are those whose Rebbe only gives a Tish on special occasions like holidays etc. Or those celebrating every Shabbat or once a month. However, in Ruzhin – Boyan a Tish takes place every Shabbat Mevarchim (the Shabbat before the new Jewish month starts). And this was last Friday. Moreover, a grandchild was born to Rebbe Nachum Dov Brayer and, of course, this is a reason for a Tish.

Ruzhin – Boyan ?
This name might sound strange to some people.
The group has its origin in the Ukraine and the founder of Chassidut Ruzhin, Rebbe Israel Friedman (1796 – 1850), has famous family roots. His fathers side comes from Rabbi Avraham Mal'ach who was the son of the Maggid of Mezritch (the successor of the Baal Shem Tov). Rebbe Israel had six sons and all of them founded chassidic dynasties such as Sadigura or Boyan. Therefore, Boyan is a branch of Ruzhin.

The great Boyaner synagogue is located in the Ge'ulah neighbourhood in Jerusalem (in Machei Israel Street). So far, people always told me how nice and friendly the Boyaner would be. One even claimed that this is the case because not too many outsiders visit the Rebbe's Tish. The Tishes regular Tishes of Toldot Aharon, Avraham Yitzchak or Belz are packed but who knows about Boyan ?
I know their synagogue for some years and every time when I passed it during Sukkot, I noticed the gigantic Sukka right in front of the building. Last Friday night at 11pm, we left the Machlises and went to Boyan. At 11.30pm, Rebbe Nachum Dov Brayer walked into the Synagogue and took his special seat. My friend and I had found the women's entrance (Ezrat Nashim) very easily and there were other women walking in anyway. We came on time and got great spots behind the glass windows.

The Boyaner Rebbe and his wife are Americans but the Rebbitzen wasn't their last Erev Shabbat. Rebbe Brayer looked very young in comparison to other chassidic Rebbes. A few hundred Chassidim had gathered and the Boyaner wear a regular Streimel (fur hat) and a long black coat on Shabbat. Not like the colourful coats of the Romanian or Hungarian Rebbes or Chassidim.

Before I went to the Tish, I had received an e – mail from a blog reader. "Look at the Rebbe's Streimel", he had announced and I did pay attention. Usually chassidic Rebbes wear a Streimel with a little round top in the middle. The Boyaner Rebbe, however, wears a regular Streimel but on the top in the middle a peak stands out. Whatever you want to call it, it looks very unusual.


In the middle: The Boyaner Rebbe, Rabbi Nachum Dov Brayer, with Sidur in his hand. Look at the unusual shape of the top of his Streimel.


During the two hours of the Tish, the Boyaner Rebbe was rather quiet. He sang and gave a Derasha (Torah teaching) but otherwise, he made a very quiet impression. Unfortunately, we females couldn't hear anything of his Derasha but what can I say, as he cannot use a microphone on Shabbat.

What else is special in Boyan ?
As usual, I can only write from a women's perspective and this always means no Shirayim (no Rebbe's food). The Boyaner Rebbe only made Kiddush and handed out some Challah (Shabbat bread). Nevertheless, the Chassidim got apple slices and chick peas (humus). Let alone cold soda water. We females got nothing.
One of the women seemed to be some kind of a guard. At least she was in charge, this was obvious. After a while she came up to us and asked who we were. I told her and we started talking about Tishes. And as she seemed to be very open I also added that I write about Judaism on the Internet. If I have a chance, I always add this because I prefer to be honest and don't play games. Most groups I went to know that I write about them. At least some of the Chassidim. Most except for Toldot Aharon where I haven't had the right opportunity yet. Anyone else, Karlin – Stolin, Dushinsky, Belz, Gur, Vishnitz and other know what I am doing.

One thing I have to criticize so far:
I wasn't too excited about the Boyan songs (Niggunim) although the Chassidim were swinging on their metal benches. They reminded me a little of the Slonim (Jerusalem) because they sounded a little slow. The best songs I have heard so far where in Belz. But who knows; I haven't been to Vishnitz yet and people told me that after Vishnitz, I will definitely change my mind.
Nevertheless, the two last Boyaner songs were not bad.

The Boyaner Tish was great and I can only recommend it.
What we liked in particular was the friendliness of the women (I cannot judge the men !!!!). My friend who has been accompanying me to the Tishes for a long time, was completely off. She loves Boyan and made me asking the "in – charge – lady" at what time the synagogue service starts on Shabbat. My friends Hebrew is not the best and this is why I had to ask. The women were pleased and invited us to the morning service. Well, my friend was anxious to go but I overslept a little. Next time, we will go. If I wake up.
Unfortunately, the Boyaner only have their Tish once a month. However, right after Tisha Be'Av (Mourning day for te destruction of both Temples), a big wedding is taking place in the group. Hopefully we will be able to go and have a look.

And what else is to say about Ruzhin – Boyan ?

Yes, the Boyaner have Takanot (internal group laws). The majority, however, only concerns the behaviour and details of the synagogue service. Furthermore, the food for Kiddush. The Rebbe very much stresses silence during the prayer service. He, on the other hand, prays in a separate room and only appears in front of the public during the taking out and putting back the Torah into the Aron HaKodesh and Birkat HaCohanim.

Yes, Boyan does accept outsiders as group members. Nevertheless, it seems that they don't missionize or run after new members as other chassidic groups such as Belz or Chabad. Many times, newcomers into the group face problems with themselves at the moment when chassidic life doesn't go in accordance with their former dreams and hopes.

Yes, a woman is allowed to work in the outside world (computers, etc.). On the other hand, women don't participate in any higher Jewish studies as the Talmud or the Rambam.

No, the Boyaner don't necessarily listen to the radio, as secular matters don't improve Devekut (closeness to G – d).

Otherwise every member lives a relatively independent life and they do make their own decisions. The Rebbe is not the big boss because this is not his personality. Someone Boyan told me that the Chassidim accept the Rebbe's decisions out of love and out of knowing that he is their guide.

Boyan reminded me a little of the Slonim and Nadvorna.
I will definitely go again. Do I have another choice ?
My friend is so excited and doesn't stop asking questions anymore.

8 comments:

  1. B"H

    Someone asked me if the group's name is Ruzhin or Rhizin ?

    Answer:
    Us Russians say Rizhin, the litvish say Ruzhin.
    The Rizhner has a palace, a coach with horses, he dressed himself and his children royally, this was the was of his father R' Sholom and Rizhner Dynasty is called Malchus. They had a lineage document that traced them back to Dovid Hamelech. This was his service to Hashem, despite all of this on his deathbed he raised his ten fingers to Hashem and swore that he never derived any personal pleasure or benefit from all of this. The great Rabbis of his generation said that if the generation had been worthy, R' Shlomo Karliner would have been Moshiach Ben Yosef and the Rizhner Moshiach Ben Dovid. Of course when they both dies that was the end of it no one claimed the Rizhner as a dead moshiach or said that he lives or will come back to be moshiach.(unlike todays chabad)
    The Rizhner wore golden shoes but one after Kiddush Lvona in the snow his Chassidim saw bloody footprints, only then did they realize that the gold was only a show and his shoes had no soles indeed he intentionally subjected himself to walking barefoot in the snow.
    This was the reason he was imprisoned, the Czar understood that the Rizhner was indeed the king of the Jews and could not allow this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B´´H
    Shalom Miriam
    do u think that a bnei noach can assist to this Shul?

    ReplyDelete
  3. B"H

    What do you mean by "assist" ???

    ReplyDelete
  4. B''H
    i mean go to pray,the prayers that a bnei noach can say, things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. B"H

    Hi Carlos,

    Of course, you could go to their synagogue. Actually I forgot to ask them if they have their own Sidur but I will get the information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you look at many of the 'older style' shtreimlech, they also have the peaked kappel sticking out. It is actually more authentic that way, as the history of the shtreimel is that A) the jews copied the look of the russian/polish nobility, whose custom was to wear those head coverings, and B) the Russians copied the Tatar khans (who ruled them for many years) whose original fur head coverings included a peaked center. (you can see pictures and paintings in wikipedia

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Shaybani.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  7. B"H

    I just imagine the Chassidim wearin the old Tatar hats.:-)

    ReplyDelete